Monday, October 8, 2012

Expressions and suction!

We were asked on class Friday two find two things from Adagia that sticks out to us. I had to skim a bit to find two that I really ever agreed with or disagreed with. The one I disagreed with completely is that "poetry is not a personal matter" (pg 903) and the one I do agree with is "reality is a vacuum" (pg 907).

To me poetry is nothing but personal (unless your Stevens of course who could possible be writing poetry randomly). Every poem I've ever written as been based off how I feel or what I think or even what I. Going through. I don't just decide that today ill write about that gold and brown leaf hanging from the tree outside my window. In fact I think a poem by me about that would be blantly boring. Even poems ice read from other people or online hole looking at other things almost always show some sort of emotion or express. And from my point of view even Stevens writes with emotions or expressions because in harmonium his first poems were about beyond death, and that death is painless and means nothing to us, that could be his emotion and view on it.

The second thing, oh yeah I agree with that! Reality is a vacuum because there is so little Time in our lives for the thinks we think or dream about doing. The dream is (at least for me) to go off and travel the world never having to pay for bills etc. but I cannot so that with ought having ,ones which requires me to have a job that leads to needing to stay in one place, to needing a home, and all the unnecessary things I choose to have as well. Reality is, we cannot play as much as we'd like and reality is not as beautifully put or simply minded as the poems we read with imagination and imagery we'd like to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment