Saturday, September 29, 2012

No words to describe it.

I know this blog is a little late coming, but when Dr. Season asked me to get up in front of the class and explain my hearing situation he asked me a question that I had no way of explaining. He asked me what it was like not hearing. My answer was was to explain the ways I could hear now, my going to the movies and talking on the phone for the first time in 7 years. But that questioned pondered in my mind over the last week when I traveled home. And then I remembered I wrote about it once and haven't looked at it since, so I began my quest to find it in my boxes and sure enough I did.
 Silence
(Written when I was 16)
Everything around me is so quiet
Like the world is asleep...
Or simply whispering a secret
Behind my back,
Yet, I'm watching things
With my own eyes as they happen
And everything is so alive
And full of energy
I want to scream and shout
At everything to just STOP
I can see it all,
The lips movings f talking people
The instruments strumming of playing bands
The movie screen flashing ...
But what I want is to hear it
I don't want this horrible silence
That suerounds me all the time to continue
I want it to just go away
And never come my direction again
I can't explain the Exact feeling
Of total silence
But it feels like you're an outsider
Or you just don't belong with the rest
And you're always feeling like...
I want to scream at everything to just STOP
I can't see it all...
But what I want is to hear it
I'd give anything to hear it all
Even if it's just for an hour
Or even an entire day...
It'd be worth it to hear the world
After so long of the world's silence
You'd think I'd be used to it by now
And I wouldn't care anymore
But I'm always going to be thinking
...I wish I could just hear the world...


For whatever reason it's Saturday morning and I decided to read a few of Stevens poems and I ran across the poem titled "Thunder by the Musician"
A greatly enjoyed this poem because although I couldn't hear the music going on in my head I could visualize it.

Thunder became men
Ten thousand, men hewn and tumbling
Mobs of ten thousand clashing together
This way and that

Whether it was intentional by Stevens or not I vizualized a drum player pounding his drum sticks against the drums and clashing the cymbals loudly creating the beat described by a thousand men heming and tumbling.






No comments:

Post a Comment